Thursday, August 8

This, that, and a little bit there....

The X A Editorial
is proud to present our first official edition, with ads, at least one headline, and sometimes even photos!  Since the X A Editorial has changed its name (as some of you know it was formerly The Daily News!) we decided this is no longer a daily news paper.  We will try to do a full version (such as this one) at least once a month.  Inbetween we will do a minimal version (a weather report and a county news story) as often as every day.  This edition will include a News article, Science article, Cultural Events article, and a Foreign Events article. editor-in-chief is Holly Black, editors J. Matherne, E. Matherne, and R. Matherne.  Yes, the X A Editorial is a family business alright.  Reporters are Miss Holly Black (major events), Dr. TeZi (Science section) Mr. R. Matherne (foreign events), Miss Rose (ad and cultural events sections), Mary Falcon (weather) and Merah Yang (photographer).

Weather Report, Mary Falcon
Hello, I'm Mary Falcon with your latest weather report!  It's the August 8th, and before you know it, you're children will be begging to talk to you about Halloween Costumes!  In the Granbury area, it is 97º, but it could go as high 105º or as low as 80º.  To the News.

Hood County Local News, Holly Black
Local News Changes its Name!
Local Newspaper (formerly known as the Daily News) has changed it's name to The X A Editorial.  We're here with Editor-in-Cheif Holly Black to find out why this online newspaper has decided to change it's name.

Reporter:  We have heard that you have changed your newspaper's name.  Why?
Editor-in-Chief:  Well, if you must know, it's because it's NOT daily!  Duh!  Just check out our website (www.afbratlife.blogspot.com) to double check.  If you must know.
R: Oh so....
EIC:  Ooooh, can I tell you HOW I chose this name?
R: I suppose....
EIC: It was sooooo hard.  So, like, here.  Step 1: So where is your newspaper located?!
R:  Er...Granbury?
EIC:  Ok.  Granbury.  Got it.  What kind of paper are you anyway?
R: Sorry?
EIC:  You know!  Bugel?  Gossip?  News?
R:  Um...Gossip.
EIC:  There you go!
R: I don't follow you.
EIC:  >Sigh<  How thick can you get?!  Your newspaper should be called the Granbury Gossip!  But no no.  Your editor wouldn't listen to me! --
R:  I wonder why....
EIC: -- I told her that X A Editorial wasn't juicy at all!  It's not classy enough!
R:  Hey!
EIC:  And -- what?
R:  My newspaper is just fine!
EIC:  No, it's not didn't you just here me?!  I just said that X-A-E-d--

And so we found out how and  why this newspaper changed it's name.  Dr. TeZi, it's all yours.

Science News, Dr. TeZi
Genetics Today
-Dr. TeZi
A non-scientific friend of mine said to me the other day, "TeZi, wouldn't it be cool if one day humans had wings?"  She got a thoughtful look on her face and asked if that was possible.  I said it was and we discussed various ways of implanting wings on humans.
"Of course," I said,"no matter how careful the implantation is, it is quite possible that the immune system would attack the implanted wings."
She frowned and asked if there was another way.
"Genetic modification." I replied.  Then I explained the process and theoretic results of such an idea.
This is what I told her:  "Genetic modification is not an easy process.  One kind of this modification is what is now know as de-extinction. First, the animal or plant's eggs must be wiped of all genes, then the genes of the desired creature is implanted.  Supposedly, the surrogate mother then goes through normal pregnancy with a different and typically extinct species' baby.  If you just want to change an aspect of a creature, you implant the genes for the desired aspect.  In the case off wings, it would take several generations worth of genetic manipulating before a man flew."
Genetic modification is becoming a reality.  Because of advances in science, scientists have been tweaking genes to do all kinds of this, to scientifically explosive results.  Mice have glowed, tomatoes grown redder, and clones of extinct animals have been made.  But wait, that's not all!  Mice have grown extra legs, tomatoes have cause sicknesses, and de-extincted animals have grown extra lobes in their lungs and died of suffocation.  Scientists have been shouting for joy, imagining wild life parks for mammoths, new flocks of cloned passenger pigeons, and have even thought of re-creating saber-toothed tigers.
Is this de-extinction a good idea though?  Some say that 'what if's' have held man kind frozen for years, but the truth is they play an important role in the scientific method - as well as in our every day life.  So three 'what if's' to round up this article:
What if the environment of our modern earth hostile and harsh to mammoths (or other animals)?
What if we cause two extinctions of the same species, rather than one?
And what if this de-extinction is happening too soon for our civilization?

Cultural Events,  Miss Rose
New Book has Tweens Excited!
~Miss Rose
As a new book is slowly revealed to the public,  press runs to interview unpublished author Noelle Matherne.  She is creating a relishing, packed story with vivid characters, and post chapter after chapter on her blog site (www.afbratlife.blogspot.com).  Despite the scramble for more information, the ODDBALL got an interesting insight into this new sensation.
Although an artistic person at heart, 11-year-old Ms. Matherne is also an active outdoorsy person who enjoys swimming, soccer, and games.  She entertains herself indoors by writing, reading a variety of books, and playing on electronics.  We interviewed her in detail and received inside information on her juicy book, Deception.
Q:  How would you describe your story, Noelle?
A:  It is about a girl, a normal girl, who finds a cat that she bonds with in an extraterrestrial way.  After that, the two explore and find that the girl is not normal but has extraordinary powers.  Shortly after she begins how to learn to control Power, her formidable step-sister disappears.  Well I won't tell you beyond there: it'll ruin it!
Q: How did you construct this vivid story?
A:  Oh, I've had imaginings of magic, power, force, what ever you want to call it.  I love fiction books like the Inheritance, Harry Potter, and Artemus Fowl series'.  I didn't use outlines or anything, like some writers do.  I started with Cassie, the girl I mentioned.  Ok, I thought, I have a character.  What is she doing?  She's in school.  What is she doing at school?  She's there so she can have a confrontation with her enemy.  Ok, what's her enemy like?  And that's how I wrote the book-question by question.  Now I know how the book will end, who will be the villain-not every detail, word for word, but I know this book. Some would say I fell into my own story.
Q:  How do you think this book will effect the public?
A: May I be frank?
Q: I suppose....
A:  This book will effect literature about as much as if you went to an empty field and muttered I want to change the world.
And that was the abrupt end to our interview with this excellent author.  I personally think that this book will not be what the author says and hope many will read Deception soon.

Foreign Events,  Mr. R. Matherne
Meet Soto Cano!
 ~Holly Black
Touring the American Military base of Soto Cano (in Honduras) was something I've never experienced.  I've seen a couple other bases, but this one was by far different.
Soto Cano is in a mountainous bowl in the landscape.  On a clear day, you can see all the mountains surrounding the base.  Unlike the tropical area I expected, the mountains are carpeted with conifers and scattered ground foliage.  What ever the original animals were I don't know, but the base is inhabited by grackles, stray cats, and termites.  In the 'red roof' (commander housing) giant red leaf cutter ants and huge toads the size of your foot (see left). Also included in this wide variety of wildlife are 6 foot iguanas and the young Max, a squadron mascot and boxer. Humans have no problem living among these creatures.  Instead, most problems occur when drinking non-spring water and in dehydration in the hot but humid environment.
Unlike other, larger bases, very few people live on the base.  Some are American Airmen, Army, and Special Ops, but about half the base is for the Honduran Air Force.  Because of off-base culture, personnel are not allowed to live off base.
All these personnel live small huts called hooches, or nicer, but still tiny, apartments called red roofs.  Food is provide by the DFAC (Dining FACility) or you can pick up frozen or snack food at the many-named multi-store called the BX, PX, or most recently - the X.  Other necessities (coffee, alcohol, hammocks, etc.)  can be bought in a set of wooden shops along the main road.  Water cannot  be drunk of of the pipe, because lead and bacteria. Water is provided for personnel.
How does one get around on Soto Cano?  You could rent a bike from the Community center, or buy one from the X.  If you're lucky you can get a car, but access to crucial areas is limited.  Many people walk, as most places, are no more than fifteen minutes from anywhere.  But the most commonly, people drive golf carts called EZ-goes.  Visiting children are allowed to drive the EZ-goes on the dirt road that lap the perimeter of the base.
Recreation includes tennis, basketball, swimming, baseball, volleyball.   Every so often, Soto Cano will have a sports day.  During these no-work days, different groups play tug-of-war and other games, as well as the Firefighter challenge and Pull-The-Truck.  Competition between squadrons (and language) is intense. As you can see to the left, the Firefighter Challenge is a relay race that requires participants to pull a hose up a staircase, roll up a hose, drag a weighted model of a man aprx. 300 ft., and drag a hose the same distance.
In this humid, hooch-riddled, EZ-go-filled base, fun and fire-fighting mix, palm trees and pines grow within five miles of each other, and you're lucky to have a concrete floor.  After all - you wouldn't want the termites getting in!

 .Ad Section,  Maintained by Miss Rose
Welcome to Bling's-the-Thing!
We sell only the best decorative merchandise hot from the production house, where they are made by hand by our fine makers!  Right now, we have several pieces available, including four pendants and a special piece!

So what's our special piece?  We have a seasonal red-white-and-blue bracelet from Bling's-the-Thing's Big Bad Bracelet sale!  But hurry up!  This special sale ends soon, and once it ends, there won't be any more bracelets.  So come soon!

Thank you, all reporters, editors.  Special Thanks to J. and R. Matherne!  Photos by Merah Yang.

No comments: