From Top to Bottom:
Cuttlefish (Cephalopod)
Baby Sea Turtle (Herp)
School of Fish (Bony Fish)
Fiddler Crab (Crustacean)
Scallop (Mollusk)
Octopus (Cephalopod)
Right Whale Breaching (Baleen Whale, Cetacean)
I have been learning about these in science. The most recent are the Cephalopods (Sef - uh - low - podz), er, should I say Cuttlefish, Squid, Octopuses, and Nautiluses.
For those of you who shook their heads when I said Octopuses, it's right! Octopi is incorrect. Some books will say Octopods, but I know that it is Octopuses.







2 comments:
I only learned about octopi vs. octopuses recently; I'm pretty sure I've always said octopi. But we had an interesting controversy happen last month in Seattle, in which a guy pulled a giant octopus from Puget Sound, punching and wrestling with it on a public beach in front of a group of other divers, right out in the middle of the day. The other divers were so appalled by the hunter's behavior, that they started a petition to ban octopus hunting from Seattle parks. I love the giant octopuses of Puget Sound, so I've since read a bunch of articles about them, and (finally) learned the correct plural!
Oh! I probably shouldn't have read about that right before bed! I agree with the divers!
I'm glad you learned something about my little friends! :-)
Post a Comment