Average Middle Schooler or Professional Fashionista?
A local 6th grader, Noelle M., has proved her talent in more than one field - she is a dedicated blogger (www afbratlife.blogspot.com), pianist and bassoonist, an artist, news writer, to-be author of three separate books, and a faithful bookworm. Despite all these accomplishments, Noelle is a perfectly normal girl, who goes to school at SHAPE Academy. But now, in an exclusive interview, she reveals yet another talent. Here is the interviewer herself, Jenna Y., describing her confrontation with Noelle.
The twelve-year-old girl was very pleasant to me and invited me in at once. For the interview, she took me to the household study, where the walls were stacked with books. The computer, where (as she told me) she did 75% of her school work and spends most of her free time, was up and running. A new country radio station was running, a half-finished book in one corner, and a lot of photos. Although the other things were interesting, what caught my interest was the photos. They were all downloaded to her desktop - all fifty of them! Dresses, drawings, heels, necklaces, scarves, and all kinds of stuff. What they all in common was that they were all fashion photos.
I asked her why she had these unusual photos on her desktop. With a sparkle in her eye, she disappeared momentarily and returned with a notebook. The cover was pasted all over with similar photos. Notebook paper stuck out of it at at least three places. She smiled and opened it.
Interviewer: So you’re a fashion designer!?
Noelle: That’s a way to put it...I like to call it ‘professional fashionista’.
Interviewer: This is an interesting turn of events! What do you design?
Noelle: See for yourself!
I.: For a middle schooler, that’s impressive! I’m surprised that you haven’t made it to red carpet yet - do you have friends in high places who can get you there?
N.: Maybe...have you heard of Ali Bayse?
Ali Basye, currently teaching the history of fashion at a Seattle college, turns out to be Noelle’s second cousin and inspiration. Although Ali’s degree is in textile design, she tells Noelle all about the newest fashion and advises her about her designs.
I.: Well, Noelle, I don’t know what to say…. Actually, I do. Do you know what you want to be when you grow up? I bet ‘professional fashionista’!
N.: Who says I have to wait until then?
I.: That wraps up our interview, Noelle. Hope to see some of those outfits on the catwalk!
N.: Toodles!
So you decide: is she an extremely gifted but average child, or professional fashionista? “In the Closet Corner” will be back with you next week with more fashionista necessities!
No comments:
Post a Comment